When the Scanning Module is launched, no patient is selected. The user has the option of Finding a patient first and then scanning in the images, or scanning all images first and then selecting the patients.
Before an image is scanned, the type of scan is to be selected. There are four (4) options to select from:
- Black & White Letter: Will scan the image and create a very compact *.tiff B&W image.
- Colour Letter: This will scan in .jpeg format for better colour rendition.
- Custom Scan: Will launch the TWAIN driver, enabling the user to customise the scan.
- Options/Use ADF: This option is accessed through the Menu Options and determines whether a Document Feeder will be used.
The scanned document/s will be immediately saved to the correct Zedmed Clinical Scan folder (Patients/Scan) as designated in the Scanning Options.
The scanned images will be saved into the Zedmed Clinical_VOL_0001 file on the main server, when they are linked to a patient. There may be up to 9999 Zedmed Clinical_VOLs, each containing 1.9gb of scanned images.
The name will be automatically generated, such as IMAGEx.tiff, where x is a unique number. You will have an opportunity to give the image a meaningful name, when linking it to a Patient.
Images, Thumbnails and Lists
The right section of the screen, the Image View form, allows you to review the contents of scanned images, which are presented as full image, thumbnails or lists.
The Image View area is divided up into three (3) tabs. Double left clicking on any of the documents/entries on these three tabs will expand the document to full screen size.
- Image Tab: Shows the currently selected image. The image just scanned will be the currently selected image. One scanned imaged can be viewed at a time. Make sure you get into the habit of clicking over to the Thumbnails tab to check if there are other images to be processed.
- Thumbnails Tab: Shows thumbnails of the images residing on the client hard drive that have yet to be assigned. When a thumbnail is dragged to a Patient or Referral item, the thumbnail is removed from the right side of the screen.
- List Tab: The List tab lists all the images residing on the client hard drive that have yet to be linked to a patient. When a list entry is dragged to a patient or referral item, the image is removed from the list. Multiple images may be selected and dragged to the appropriate patient or referral item in one movement (by holding down the Ctrl key while making your selection). The List tab view shows the image name, file size and date and time the image was scanned.
Use the Full Screen, Zoom In/Out, Rotate Left/Right/180 degrees and Page navigation arrows to move through the images you have scanned. Clicking on the entry will expand the form in the lower part of the screen.